Camping in India has evolved a lot. The Himalayas spread across five Indian states offer lots of opportunities for the travel sector industries as well as the travellers. New age travellers want to explore more than just sightseeing. Camping trips are the best way to explore by staying at a place in the serenity of nature far away from the city life.
Camping scene in India:
Camping industries in India are seeing an increase in market share by 60% year on year. As the number of people going for backpacking trips are increasing year on year, this segment of travelling is now seeing more explorers going for camping trips. Majority camping sites of the country are located in the North followed by South and West of India. As per www.holidayiq.com, most sought after camping locations of the country are Jungle Lodges Bheemeshwari in Karnataka, MTDC Bordi resort in Maharashtra, Sasan Gir’s Safari Camp in Gujarat and Kulgi Nature camp in Dandeli, Karnataka. Nameri Eco Camp in Assam and Boparai camping site are emerging as new popular destinations as per the study.
Most of the popular sites for camping in the North are located in Himachal and Uttarakhand whereas Karnataka in South and Maharashtra in the west are very popular. More camping activity can be observed in the South and West compared to North. This may be due to cold winters in the North which restricts the camping season to some certain months. The camping scene in the country is improving and is expected to see a rapid growth post to this lockdown.
11 most sought after places for camping in India:
1.Rishikesh Valley Camp, Rishikesh: This camp in the spiritual city of Rishikesh is the best option for you if you want to introspect your inner self. The hermit fashion styled tents here are designed to offer you a very peaceful environment. Totally organic food that will be served to you during your stay. Apart from healing, river rafting, elephant rides, trekking and ayurveda spas are the things you can explore. Risikesh is considered one of the best places for camping in India and definitely should be in your list.
2. Camp Exotica, Kullu: A perfect weekend getaway in the district of Manali of Himachal Pradesh, this camp offers you a panoramic view of the mountains surrounding you. The high standard accommodation along with the very well served food with a mesmerizing picturesque view of the mountains will simply leave you with an awe of this place.
3. Tso Moriri Lake, Ladakh: This lake located in Ladakh is the highest lake in the entire world. The lake becomes completely frozen during the winters. Camping in this very unique lake is a very unique experience. Trekking can also be done in the ladakh region. The sunset at the lake is a very mesmerising thing to observe. Tests are very comfortable and you can have an experience of a lifetime by camping in this area.
4. Nameri Eco Camp, Assam: This 100% eco friendly camp located in Nameri National Park in the Sonitpur district of Assam is a perfect getaway for a peaceful environment as well as some adventures. Various adventure activities like hiking in the woods and rafting in the nearby Boroli river can be in your list during your stay. This place has turned into a bird lover's paradise as this place is a home of more than 300 species of birds.
5. Magpie Camp, Chopta: One of the most sought after offbeat destinations of the country, this place in the Garhwal mountains is a perfect option for camping to beat the summer heat.
The breathtaking view of the surrounding mountains and the valley is just more than enough to refresh your mind. Various famous tourist spots like the Chandrashila trek, Deoria Tal and the Tungnath temple are must visits.
6. Chardham Trek Camp, Kedarnath: Located in the outskirts of Guptkashi, this place is a perfect spot for those who go for trekking to Kedarnath. This is a beautiful camping site with a mesmerising view of the mountains and the rich green valley filled with flowers. The camp is quite comfortable and the mesmerising views of the sunrise and sunset are the musts.
7. Desert camp, Pushkar: Puskar festival being the largest cattle fair in the country attracts tourists from all across the globe. This camp in the desert is located at the proximity to Pushkar is one of the most sought after desert camps in the country. A complete Rajasthani style camp covering across an area of 6 acres is the best option to stay during your visit to Pushkar.
8. Tribal Camp, Madhya Pradesh: Located at the Pench National Park at the border of Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra, this camp offers excellent service, amazing food and a high quality accommodation. Best thing about this place is the guidance provided by the owner of this place himself. He becomes your guide the moment you step inside the camp.
9. Coorg Planter’s camp: A very unconventional camp built in the middle of the forests, this camp offers you a chance to give a visit to cardamom plantations and the famous coffee plantations of Coorg. You will experience the healing power of nature in this place surrounded by a waterfall and large spread plantations.
10. Watermark Camp, Ladakh: A camp located in the Pangong lake which is the highest salt water lake in the entire world. You just cannot miss the mighty experience of staying at this camp alongside the Pangong lake surrounded by mountains. The mesmerising view of Pangong lake changing its hues with sunrise and sunset are must watch.
11.Manvar, Jodhpur: This place located few kilometres away from the Jodhpur-Jaisalmer highway will take you back to the days of the old time of the Maharajas. These camps will give you a royal experience of lavishness with royal meals, royal furniture and a lot more. These camps are decorated in such a way to give the royal vibes of the royal kings.
Conclusion: Travelling is not limited to only sightseeing and relaxation now. These are some of the most sought after camping sites of the country which indicates towards a bright scene of camping in India.